Thursday, June 28, 2007

Enforcement of US Court Judgments in China - Even a Single Example?


As noted in my last posting, we seldom recommend that clients specify US courts as the choice for dispute resolution in cross-border agreements that may need to be enforced in another country. Arbitral awards are simply a better enforcement bet among the many signatory countries to the New York Convention.

Don Clarke, the George Washington Law School professor who moderates an excellent China law discussion group, is reviving his search for even a single example of a US court judgment that has been enforced in China, and I will report back on specific examples. Don's criteria are as follows - a typical scenario wherein the local party challenges the enforceability of the judgment:

"1. I'm talking about judgments, not mediated settlements.

2. I'm not talking about cases where both parties wanted the judgment recognized (e.g., consensual divorce cases). I want cases where one side argued that the judgment should not be recognized and enforced, and lost the argument.

3. I'm talking about cases where the issue was whether or not to enforce the judgment without going into the merits, not where the merits of the matter were litigated (since in that case it wouldn't really be a case of enforcing a US judgment).

4. I really need a specific and independently verifiable reference, not something you heard about from somebody else. This is important because so far, every time I hear about a case that I'm told meets my criteria, when I am able to look at the specifics it turns out that it does not.

Our last discussion failed to uncover any cases meeting the above criteria; are there really none that anyone knows of?"

No comments: